Computer Science & ICT

“The spread of computers and the Internet will put jobs in two categories. People who tell computers what to do, and people who are told by computers what to do.”

Marc Andreessen, Entrepreneur, inventor of Netscape



Delivering the needs and aspirations for tomorrow’s world of Computer Science and ICT, through an exciting and engaging curriculum focussed around independent problem solving.


What you can expect studying Computer Science and ICT at Tarporley High School and Sixth Form College

Computer Science lessons will give you a real understanding of how computer technology works and how Computers can be used as a tool for improvement.  You will no doubt be familiar with the use of computers and other related technology from your other subjects and personal lives and we aim to build on this to give you an insight into what goes on ‘behind the scenes’, including computer programming, which for many will be very absorbing.  Why be a slave to just using a computer?  Why not develop your own computer systems for others to use or even shape the future for all of us?  The possibilities with Computer Science are endless.

The course will develop critical thinking, analysis and problem-solving skills through the study of multimedia based projects and computer programming.  For many students, it’ll be a fun and interesting way to develop these skills, which can be transferred to other subjects and even applied in day-to-day life.


Key Stage 4 – GCSE Curriculum

At GCSE, there are two routes that can be taken:

GCSE Computer Science

We follow OCR’s GCSE in Computer Science.  This course gives a real and in-depth understanding of how computer technology works.  Students will no doubt be familiar with the use of computers and other related technology from experience in school and their personal lives.  However, this course will gives an insight into what goes on ‘behind the scenes’, including computer programming.  Students, will learn about algorithm design, hardware, software, data representation, internal components of a computer, security, networking and communications and practical experience of programming.


ICT is delivered through the study of OCR Cambridge Nationals in Creative iMedia Level 2.  It lets students gain knowledge in a number of key areas in the media field, from pre-production skills to game making, graphics and web design.  The options available offer the chance for your child to explore areas of creative media that interest them and offers a hands-on approach to learning.  The Cambridge National in Creative iMedia will also provide opportunities to develop useful transferable skills such as research, planning, and review, working with others and communicating creative concepts effectively.


How we assess at KS4

Computer Science

Students are assessed via two external examinations at the end of Year 11, worth 80% in total of the qualification.  The remaining 20% is a non-exam assessment programming project that is assessed by the centre and externally moderated by OCR.


Creative iMedia is assessed through three units.  These assessments are spread throughout the two-year course.

Most of the qualification is tested by coursework that’s set and marked by the teacher.  This will be done throughout the two-year course.  So if your child likes project work, enjoys research and doing practical things they may find this a good option.

The units are:

R093 – The Media Industry (40%)

Written paper – OCR set and marked

1 hr 15 mins – 60 marks

A written exam that focusses on the role of the media industry and how media codes are used within the creation of media products to convey meaning, create impact and engage audiences

R094 – Visual Identity and Graphics (35%)

Centre assessed tasks (Coursework) – OCR moderated

Approx 10 hours – 60 marks

You will also learn to apply the concepts of graphic design using Photoshop to create original digital graphics which incorporate a visual identity to engage a target audience.

R096 – Animation and Audio (25%)

Centre assessed tasks (Coursework) – OCR moderated

Approx 10 hours – 60 marks

You will learn how to plan and create animations using Adobe Animate, then add an audio soundtrack to create a product suitable for a target audience.

The qualification is a level 2 qualification, graded at Pass, Merit, Distinction and Distinction*


Extra-Curricular Opportunities

Students have access to a many of the Computer Facilities during lunchtime and afterschool to support their studies.  Throughout the year students are encouraged to take part in National competitions, or to develop an area of interest that they may have.  During our Wednesday Enrichment sessions there is also the opportunity to join one of our coding clubs.

There is also the Digital Lead Learners club, in which students can help support the department and also learn some new and exciting things.  Anyone interested should speak to Miss Roberts to sign up.